Life gets busy and crazy, doesn’t it? That’s a rhetorical question, haha, the answer is obviously, YES.
When you’re trying to stick to your healthy eating and lifestyle goals, sometimes these hectic moments can throw us off. Believe me, I know from personal experience! I can’t tell you how many times that hangry feeling hits and I grab a bag of pretzel chips (major weakness for me) and before I know it, I’ve eaten half the bag. An hour later, I have a major energy crash and feel hungry all over again—ugh. It can be a vicious cycle.
So, let’s break it!
One of the easiest ways to prevent those cravings for junk food that’s not going to fill you up is to make sure you’re eating meals at regular intervals to maintain your blood sugar, and to make sure those meals are filling and well-balanced. I always aim to get protein, fat, fiber and veggies into every meal. Balanced meals like this help keep you full for longer and keep cravings at bay.
When it comes to staying on track with my healthy eating and lifestyle goals, I do my best to think ahead so I’m not stuck in a position where I’m starving and just start eating everything I can find. By keeping your pantry and freezer stocked with healthy snack options, you can avoid the pretzel bag dilemma.
One of my favorite snacks to keep in the freezer are these cacao energy balls. They’re packed full of nuts, healthy fats, and protein! They’re filling and also have just enough sweetness from the dates, coconut oil and cinnamon to feel like a sweet treat without spiking your blood sugar.
You can make a big batch of these energy balls and keep them stored in the freezer for a quick and easy snack! They’re great for kids too!
Lastly, it’s also important to remember that life is just that, LIFE!
We’re always going to hit some roadblocks and bumps along the way. It’s okay! It happens to all of us! The important thing is not get totally defeated when we fall away from our good habits. Instead of heading into a downward spiral, just accept it, say whoops, and move on.
Each and every meal or snack, you have the chance to start fresh and make a healthier decision! When you remember that, it makes living a healthier lifestyle so much easier and more enjoyable because you’re less concerned about making a mistake and can just enjoy life and meal time!
Cacao Chip Energy Balls Recipe
- 1/2 cup almonds, sprouted if desired
- 1/2 cup cashews, sprouted if desired
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut shreds
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds, sprouted if desired
- 1/4 cup pepitas, sprouted if desiredw
- 5 medjool dates, pitted
- 4 scoops Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup unsweetened nut milk (almond, macadamia, coconut, etc.)
- 1 Tbsp cacao powder
- 2 Tbsp cacao nibs
- Combine all ingredients through cacao powder in a food processor until well-combined. Pulse if things get stuck. It’ll look like a sticky paste.
- Add cacao nibs and pulse until everything is combined.
- Roll into golf-ball sized bites. Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and freeze. Once frozen, store in a glass, lidded container in the freezer.
- When you’re ready to eat, remove 1-2 from the freezer (I’d stick to only 1-2 at a time!) and let them sit out at room temperature for about 10 minutes. Then enjoy!
If you make these, make sure to tag us on Instagram @easyweeklyrecipes #easyweeklyrecipes!
P.S. Have you tried out our meal plans?! Get a free week by clicking ‘Get Started’ below!